Wednesday, May 22, 2013

A photo and a memoir

Happy Hump-day!

 
Not in a weird way. You know, 'cause it's Wednesday. The middle of the week...like a hump....oookkaaay. Actually though I live in a country where our week is from Sunday to Thursday. So all that TGIF stuff? Yeah, doesn't really apply.
 
Anyway, a couple of weeks ago our English class finished reading Lord of the Flies by William Golding. I liked the plot, but for me the writing was too descriptive. Maybe the more appropriate title should have been 50 Different Ways to Say "It's Dark". But despite this tiny tiny shortcoming, I did enjoy reading. If your class does not covering, why not read it? After all, it is a classic. And, for some reason, you're supposed to read classics. Maybe it makes you sound smart? ANYWAYS we had to do a creative writing piece in class, and I chose the prompt to write a chapter from Ralph's memoir years later. It was around 700 words, and it's not too shabby, not to toot my own horn or anything :) Here's a piece that was my favourite:
 
"As I lay hidden in the forest, I simply existed. I was not Ralph, or a boy, or a human. I was a thing, an empty shell waiting to be filled with soul. I was a shield that protected nothing. After Piggy left my world, I did not live like the others – I existed in a state of being. My isolated world lost its colour, its fire, its passion. It lost the reds, the blues, the greens. A spectrum of greys took its place, and I lived among in the in-between, waiting in a situation that was never as simple as black and white."
 
So yeah. Yay! Hopefully I will get a good grade. And to brighten your day, here's a photo I took a couple months back for my photography class.



2 comments:

  1. @Requiem: THANK YOU REQUIEM for being my first commenter! I love your profile picture ;) we shall come up with more skulduggery theories, no?

    ReplyDelete